Testosterone therapy and its benefits
As per a report published by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the life expectancy for men has risen by 65% in the last century. With men becoming very conscious about their health, they have started following a regular exercise regime along with a healthy diet. They have started taking adequate rest to maintain energy and vitality in their body.
They have also started turning towards the most advanced aging solutions available to improve their overall health. The last decade has seen increased use of testosterone therapy among middle-aged and elderly men that has helped improve their health and sexual life.
What is testosterone?
Testosterone is a hormone produced in men in their testicles, it is responsible for the development of male external genitalia and secondary sexual characteristics.
Testosterone is useful for maintaining muscle bulk and bone density in men. It helps preserve and sustain red blood cells production and takes care of the heart functioning. It is a key element in sustaining the sexual and reproductive function in men. It is responsible for overall well-being.
Male characteristics like a deep voice or facial and bodily hair and production of sperms are because of Testosterone in the body. With age, the testosterone levels in men start declining and they start facing problems in their day to day life and sexual life.
Extremely low levels of testosterone are known to have a long-term impact on the body. Men with low testosterone levels are known to suffer from erectile dysfunction, lowered sex drive, exhaustion and fatigue, and weak bones resulting in a condition called osteoporosis.
What is Male hypogonadism?
A testosterone deficiency in men is called male hypogonadism. In this condition, the body is not able to produce enough testosterone required for the efficient functioning of a male body.
Doctors can determine if a person has male hypogonadism by undertaking a few blood tests and physical examinations.
If the doctor detects low testosterone levels, they may suggest undergoing testosterone replacement therapy. It helps in managing testosterone levels in men.
What is testosterone replacement therapy? What are its benefits?
The natural decline in testosterone levels in men starts around the age of 30. The decline continues as years pass by. Testosterone replacement therapy(TRT) also known as androgen replacement therapy is used for treating low levels of Testosterone that occur with growing age or due to any medical condition.
Testosterone therapy is also fast gaining popularity for its several non-medical uses like:
- improving sexual performance
- attaining higher levels of energy
- building muscle bodybuilding purpose
How is testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) performed?
TRT can be performed in multiple ways and the doctor will recommend the best suitable method based on the patient’s lifestyle and medical requirements.
The different methods for administering Testosterone Replacement Therapy are:
- Patches: Testosterone patches are easy to apply. But they may be required to be applied more than once every day.
- Gels: In this method, testosterone gels need to be rubbed daily onto the skin. One needs to be careful that no one comes into contact with the treated area for several hours after application, to avoid getting testosterone in their system.
- Buccal patch: This patch needs to be put on the upper gum twice a day.
- Injections: Injections can be administered anytime 2 to 10 weeks apart. They are comparatively inexpensive.
- Subcutaneous pellets: These pellets inside the skin every 3 to 6 months. They are very convenient and effective once they’re put in, but they require minor surgery for each dose.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy has been a highly effective treatment for hypogonadism. Consult a reputed wellness clinic or get in touch with a Wildberry MD clinic in Tucson, they can give you more information about this therapy and determine which of the methods would be most suitable for you.